Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, September 22, 2006

My Addiction

Som Tam!!!

Ok, so I'm very near to joining a Som Tam eaters anoynomous support group. I just can't get enough of the stuff. I should probably explain what Som Tam is for the unaware. Som Tam is a type of salad here that consists of:

  1. Green papaya cut into long shreds
  2. Carrots cut into long shreds
  3. Small tomatoes cut into halves
  4. Long beans cut into small pieces
  5. Roasted peanuts
  6. Palm sugar
  7. Lime juice
  8. Fish sauce
  9. Dried Shrimps ( none for me please)
  10. Red small chilies ( some people add one chili and others up to ten or more)
All of this is placed together in mortar and pounded with a pestle. Som Tam means sour pound. The result is a simple delicious treat! This salad is particularly popular with the Poo Ying (ladies) but men do like it too. It has the perfect balance of salty, sweet and sour tastes. I take mine without the chilis, however, there is always a little spicy residue leftover in the mortar from the previous orders to give my dish a little kick. I had Som Tam three times last week because I was craving it so bad. I even got Jack started on his own addition. We both got to the point of just hearing the words Som Tam and we were both in the depths of craving. After my third dish in a week, I developed a rash on my hands. I wondered if I was developing an allergic reaction to my new favorite Thai dish. That would be tragic. However, I now think it is from pulling up pumpkin vines from our little garden. I think the oils in the pumpkin leaves caused a reaction. Phew!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you have my mouth watering! Oh well, I only have five more months and then I can taste it for myself!

I love your blog. thanks for sharing.

love, helen henry

Crystal said...

Kim,
You forgot an ingredient...crab! My neighbor brought me some somtam over the other night with small little crabs in it...no thanks!

Kim said...

Yeah...that one is disgusting. I think Dave can eat it like that though! :P